The City of Simi Valley welcomes you, and we recognize the value and importance of a strong and varied business community. Starting a business can be exciting and challenging. We wish you great success in your new venture!

There are many things to consider and various agencies to contact when starting or operating a business. While each endeavor may have its own unique situation or purpose, it is important for you to research prior to starting the application procedure.

If you are looking to start a home-based business in the City, you will first need to obtain a Home Occupation Permit from the Planning Division. Please familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations governing Home Occupations by downloading our brochure. You can then apply online for a Home Occupation permit. You can find instructions here on applying for your permit. If you have any questions, please call the Planning Division at (805) 583-6769.

We hope to offer you a better understanding of the business tax and provide you with steps required for the application process. For your convenience, there is a listing of other agencies in the “download forms” section and below is a list of “Frequently Asked Questions” to assist you.

The easiest and fastest way to apply for a new Business Tax Certificate or to renew your current Business Tax Certificate is by using the online filing method. To begin, simply click on the “start now” button located on the right of this page. From the main menu, please select the “apply” option to submit a new application for your business.

If you need further assistance applying for a business tax certificate, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (805) 850-1521. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST).

To access and manage your City of Simi Valley business account, click the link below and create an online profile today.

  • Download a copy of your lost Business Tax Certificate,
  • Link multiple business tax accounts for an easier renewal,
  • Submit a new application and others

BUSINESS PROFILE: Access Your Profile

BUSINESS TAX DIRECTORY: Business Tax Verification Search


Transient Occupancy Tax Assessment returns for Hotels and Motels may now be submitted via mail, e-mail, online, and by phone to simplify the filing process. To submit your TOT online, please click the “Start Now” button found on the right, and select the “Renew” option to begin your quarterly filing process.

If you need further assistance, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (805) 850-1521. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST).


Beginning January 1, 2019, there is imposed upon each person who is engaged in business as a Cannabis Business a Cannabis Business Tax. Such tax is payable regardless of whether the business has been issued a cannabis business license or permit to operate lawfully in the City or is operating unlawfully. The City’s acceptance of a Cannabis Business Tax payment from a Cannabis Business operating illegally will not constitute the City’s approval or consent to such illegal operations.

Cannabis Tax Filings can now be submitted via mail, e-mail, and by phone.

If you need further assistance, you are welcome to contact us at or by phone at (805) 850-1521. Phone support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST).

General Information About Cannabis Tax

Q: If my business is marijuana deliveries, must I pay taxes?

A: Whether a business is permitted or legal, taxes are due. You may apply for a Business Tax Registration Certificate (BTRC). You will also be responsible for paying the marijuana delivery tax.

General Information

The law provides that a Business Tax Certificate is necessary before any Business, Trade, Profession, Enterprise, Establishment, Occupation, or Calling is conducted within the City. A Tax Certificate is required even though the business may be located outside the City or have a Tax Certificate from another city.

The Business Tax Certificate is valid until December 31st of the year in which it is issued and must be renewed by April 30th of the following year. It is the responsibility of the tax certificate holder to ensure that the tax is paid each year. A change in business name and/or business address requires a new application and fee. For additional information on the City’s Business Tax Certification, please review the Municipal Code Title 3-Chapter 1 here.

California State Mandated Fee of $4.00 for all Business Licenses and Renewal of Business Licenses:
California CASP Fee: SB-1186 went into effect 01/01/2013, and imposes, on and after January 1, 2013, and until December 31, 2018, an additional State fee of $1 on any applicant for a local business license or equivalent instrument or permit, or renewal thereof, for purposes of increasing disability access and compliance with construction related accessibility requirements and developing educational resources for businesses to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified.

The Senate Bill 1186 creates a continuously appropriated fund, the Disability Access and Education Revolving Fund, for the deposit of funds to be transferred to the Division of the State Architect. By adding to the duties of a local entity, this bill imposes a State-mandated local program, which results in costs incurred by the local agencies. On October 11, 2017, AB 1379 went into effect and extends the operation of this fee indefinitely and, on and after January 1, 2018, and until December 31, 2023, increases the amount from $1 to $4. The bill would revert the amount of the fee back to $1 on and after January 1, 2024.

The collection of this mandated fee imposed by the State is already included in the business tax registration fee, and the renewal fee of $19.00. For more information on SB-1186 and AB 1379, please visit

Regulated Business

For protection of the public, various types of businesses are regulated through the City’s Police or Environmental Services Departments, or through the Ventura County Fire or Health Departments. Your business may or may not be regulated.

For more information on massage parlors, please visit

The following is a list of some of the operations that need a "permit" in addition to a Business Tax Certificate:

Billiard Rooms
Circuses and Carnivals
Dance Halls
Firearm Dealers
Massage Parlors/Therapists
Parades and Shows
Secondhand Dealers

City of Simi Valley
C/O HdL Support Center
8839 N. Cedar Ave. #212 • Fresno, CA 93720
(805) 850-1521